From: Statux <statux@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] should dual-core Pentium Processor Extreme Edition be recognized as two processors or one?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 16:36:31
1 On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 12:03 -0400, Denis wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > I thought that dual-core processors would appear as two processors in
6 > Linux, or 4 with hyperthreading enabled. When I set up the kernel, I
7 > did compile in the SMP support, enhanced RTC, and chose Pentium 4 in
8 > processor family, among other things. I'm attaching my current
9 > .config file in case there's something I missed.
10
11 [snip]
12
13 > Thanks,
14 > Denis
15
16 Make sure you have ACPI enabled in the BIOS and support compiled into
17 the kernel and enabled. Also, make sure you have the max number of
18 processors in the SMP section of the kernel config set appropriately.
19 Also, if you use /proc, then 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' or 'cat
20 '/proc/interrupts' and use that to see what's actually enabled. Check
21 'dmesg' as well and see how many processors were found and brought up.
22
23 I had trouble a year and a half ago with Hyperthreading on my Intel 531
24 not getting enabled. ACPI wasn't enabled and that was the problem. It's
25 required for SMP to work fully, apparently. Of course, in the process, I
26 found out that on this system I couldn't use a PS/2 keyboard since ACPI
27 was causing an interrupt shuffle during the kernel boot and the keyboard
28 lost the lottery. So, a USB keyboard fixed that problem.
29
30 Hope some of that helps.
33 Statux <statux@×××××××××.net>