From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager [ control of wireless and wired interafaces]
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:15:17
1 On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 05:48:08 -0400, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 5:19:32 AM German wrote:
4 > > Hi. I was said that I need network manager to control my interfaces.
5 > > What
6 > package should I emerge? I am in console mode. Is that ncurses based or
7 > command line? Any other pointers on how this can be configured are
8 > welcome. Thanks
12 > net-misc/networkmanager
13 >
14 > It comes with CLI tools but it's usually used with a frontend GUI. See
15 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NetworkManager#NetworkManager_GUI_bits_in_GTK
16 >
17 > For KDE I use kde-misc/plasma-nm. If you don't have a desktop it
18 > propably makes more sense to just use wpa_supplicant directly.
19
20 wpa_supplicant doesn't handle switching between wored and wireless
21 interfaces, which is why I suggest a network manager. That could be
22 NetworkManager, but you could equally use Wicd. Both are in portage.
23
24 Alternatively, you could just set up the two interfacs
25 in /etc/conf.d/net and switch between them by starting and
26 stopping /etc/init.d/net.{eth0,wlan0}.
27
28 It depends on how automatic you want it.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.