From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:32:59
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:12:56AM +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote
4
5 > > > I"m not a gnome user as of yet, but I can tell you that the day is
6 > > > coming (Gnome 3.8 I believe) when gnome will not work without PA,
7 > > > so you will have to install it if you want newer Gnome.
8 > >
9 > > That's true, gnome3.8 will require you to install pulseaudio-2
10 >
11 > From a logic chapter in a highschool math text, the "contrapositive"
12 > version of this is that removing pulseaudio will require removing gnome.
13
14 I don't use it much, but I have Gnome installed, so I can play around
15 with it if I like. Whenever PulseAudio gets updated, I manually
16 rename /usr/bin/pulseaudio. I was never able to configure it, despite
17 some help from this list in the past, I think my problem is that my
18 internal sound card has two devices, and the HDMI one is default. For
19 ALSA I was able to switch them, with PulseAudio I had no success.
20
21 Sound behaviour is very erratic, and killing the pulseaudio process (or
22 not enabling it to start at all) seems to help. Although it still happens
23 that Amarok or Flash do not play sound, even though the test sound works
24 fine in the Phonon setup.
25
26 Quite annoying, but these days I have no time for that any more :-(
27
28 Alex