From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE 5: Broken file protocol for KDE 4 apps
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:07:56
1 On 13/10/16 20:39, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:54:48 PM Jörg Schaible wrote:
3 >> Anyone? After upgrading a second machine to KDE/Plasma 5, I have the same
4 >> behavior there. All KDE-4-based apps fail to interact with the file system.
5 >> Using KMail I can no longer add any attachment to an email nor save an
6 >> existing attachment to disk.
7 >
8 > I'm running KMail (Gentoo doesn't have the KDE5 version in tree yet, so KDE4),
9 > and I send file attachments all the time. So I can say it's at least not
10 > *intrinsically* broken...
11 >
12 > Much of KDE4 and KDE5 wind up installed side by side, FWIW. I'd suggest
13 > cycling through emerge @preserved-rebuild, revdep-rebuild, depclean, and see
14 > if that shakes something loose.
15 >
16 > The KDE4->KDE5 transition was generally a royal PITA for me, too, though I
17 > can't remember what all broke...
20 Kwooty, an nzb downloaded, has the same problem. It's "4" as well. Hit
21 the "Open" button, a file dialogue pops up, closely followed by "Error
22 Kwooty" -> "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly". File
23 -> Open gets the same.
24
25 Dragging and dropping into the main window works and once the nzb files
26 have been parsed, kwooty behaves as expected.
27
28 This failure corresponds with a big update of KDE 5 stuff. I've just
29 has a quick browse through bugs for the last 36 hours and nothing jumps out.
30
31 Andrew