From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI Mobility TV-OUT
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:58:05
1 On 9/4/06, Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
4 > Frequent updating of myth machines is a mistake in my humble experience.
5 > get it right, then stop!
6 >
7 > For this reason i moved from gentoo to knoppmyth for my myth box. Never
8 > been happier.
11 Nick,
12 Who said 'frequent'?
13
14 I more or less agree, and I appreciate all your help in the past,
15 but this time your comment isn't directly helpful. (As a Gentoo user)
16 On the other hand it does serve to create some user-oriented
17 conversation so thanks for that.
18
19 The 0.18 revision had bugs. The backend hung or shutdown Myth 3
20 time a week when the network got busy. (Just finished recording two
21 jobs, just start transcoding them, started recording two more and was
22 being accessed by a couple of frontend machines all at the same time.
23 This was almost guaranteed to cause the 0.18 backend to just
24 shutdown...) The machines were running old kernels on old Gentoo
25 profiles. When the profiles and kernels get updated then you find that
26 the ati-drivers package doesn't work with the new kernel. Our Myth
27 backend machine is a Gentoo desktop serving double duty. That machine
28 needs to be updated, which then drives us to update the network, when
29 then causes us to have to update the frontends because the Myth devs
30 won't allow a 0.18 frontend to run with 0.19 backend. We we stuck.
31 Bummer.
32
33 Again, I'm not really complaining. The network is up and running
34 again, but it is not as enjoyable as it used to be. While 0.19 is far
35 more stable than 0.18, the video on my ATI-based frontend machines is
36 really lousy to watch. No WAF or KAF at this time...
37
38 I don't see how I Would have used KnoppMyth in this setup, but
39 maybe I could have tried it on a frontend-only machine, if it had
40 built in support for the ati-drivers I end up needing to get TV-out.
41
42 Thanks,
43 Mark
44 --