From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] custom kernel with nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:54:22
1 On 02/14/2017 02:33 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
2 > Time ago when I upgraded nvidia-drivers from 295 to 3xx series there was
3 > no way to start X, it would crash immediately with my custom built
4 > kernel. After many tests I switched to a kernel config taken from a live
5 > CD which worked (and still works) fine with the 3xx nvidia-drivers but
6 > pulls in a lot of stuff don't think I really need. I started to remove
7 > kernel options one by one to go back to a custom kernel but that is a
8 > painful road.
9 >
10 > Is there a minimal set of kernel options required to run the
11 > nvidia-driver documented somewhere? The gentoo wiki suggests to remove
12 > framebuffer, DRM, noveau but apparently that is not sufficient.
13 >
14 > The current graphic board is a GTX750-based, if it matters.
15 >
16 > thanks,
17 >
18 > raffaele
21 I have:
22
23 [IP-] [ ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-375.26:0/375
24
25 installed with no issues with my custom kernel (I've been using custom
26 kernels from day one using Gentoo.)
27
28 I have only enabled drivers for this specific machine and I didn't have
29 issues with X. I did forget to remove KMS support from the kernel
30 (nvidia provides their own KMS blob, apparently) and that give me issues
31 with framebuffer corruption at the console, but X itself worked fine.
32
33 All you can do is check `lspci -k`, `lsusb`, and dmesg output and figure
34 out what your kernel needs for your machine.
35
36 Or in the case you get to the point where X won't start attach the Xorg
37 log and the kernel .config, so that it can be looked at.
38
39 With new hardware I find it easier to boot a liveCD and save its dmesg,
40 lspci, lsusb to a USB key and use hits from it to build my own kernel,
41 removing all the bits not needed.
42
43 Dan