From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 12:47:15
1 Al writes:
2
3 > being comparingly new to Gentoo I still wounder why the classical
4 > heart of every open source community is missing, a public news server.
5 > At least a news server is not offically announced on
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/ like forums, IRC and mailinglists. (I can read
7 > some, not all of the lists via infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de.)
8 >
9 > Well, there are mailinglists. But mailinglists send each message to
10 > everybody producing a lot of traffic overhead. As as result people are
11 > socially driven to reduce the amount of messages. The lists are dead
12 > early while IRC still is active.
13
14 Hmm, ist this really true? We have good bandwith nowadays, even Dale has
15 DSL now, so I don't care about the extra traffic this mailing list
16 creates. When it's too much to read, or threads do not interest me, I mark
17 them as read, as I would with my news client. I'm using IMAP, so as with
18 news, only the headers are downloaded, and the body comes when I select it
19 to read. This is fast enough these days, years ago I used pop3, and
20 downloaded all new news messages completely and read them in my local copy
21 to speed things up. Which I sill like to do for news and mail, because
22 then I can do full text searches.
23
24 What I am missing is more mailing lists. The gentoo-performance list hast
25 just been closed due to too few traffic A pity, because now all those
26 topics will show up here instead. Which would, to be true, not change a
27 thing, because noone used gentoo-performance, but in an ideal world I
28 think people would. But this is not an ideal world.
31 > Then there are some Gentoo web forums out there. Now that is really
32 > slow, moving tons of HTML for every single posting. Valuable
33 > information is scattered all around.
34
35 I don't use the forums much. It's not about the traffic, but I miss
36 threading - I don't like to read a dozen of pages of a discussion. But
37 then, I often just google some search terms, and google finds relevant
38 postings. Some from the forum, some from archives of the mailing list.
39 Works quite well. Although it is crazy to have the information scattered
40 around in all those different places, and I woud prefer to have all this
41 in some newsgroups instead. But I don't care too much about this.
42
43 > Do we think intelligent people to
44 > limited to install a Thunderbird to read news, so that people are to
45 > driven to web forums like housewifes, that only know the web as
46 > webpages?
47
48 No, but if people prefer the forums, even if there are better things, let
49 them, you won't change their habits.
50
51 Wonko