From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 13:48:22
1 Hi Alex,
4 > Hmm, ist this really true? We have good bandwith nowadays, even Dale has
5
6 Take the previous posting of Albert Hopkins as best prove of that:
7
8 <quote>
9 * End the noise here.
10 </quote>
11
12 So why does he read the thread, if he considers as noise? He could
13 very simply ignore it using IMAP or NNTP. Obviously he has
14 difficulties to handle the mailing list in the way you descibe below.
15
16 I say it again, from my point of view such a mentality, pressing
17 people to end a discussion, which has it's own thread, which is not
18 evil in any way, which is interesting, is the direct result from
19 prefering a mailing list over NNTP. That has a negative influence to
20 activy and communication. People turn to IRC because of such social
21 pressure.
22
23 > DSL now, so I don't care about the extra traffic this mailing list
24 > creates. When it's too much to read, or threads do not interest me, I mark
25
26 Confirmed, the extra traffic isn't any problem at all today. Facebook
27 and Youtube prove that. It is the feelings.
30 > What I am missing is more mailing lists. The gentoo-performance list hast
31 > just been closed due to too few traffic A pity, because now all those
32 > topics will show up here instead. Which would, to be true, not change a
33 > thing, because noone used gentoo-performance, but in an ideal world I
34 > think people would. But this is not an ideal world.
35
36 Good example. I knew that from an NNTP based community two years ago.
37 There were, probably there are a lot of living lists on that server.
38 Once subcribed to the server it is absolutely easy to subscribe to a
39 second list or third list. You get them all presented directly by your
40 reader.
43 > No, but if people prefer the forums, even if there are better things, let
44 > them, you won't change their habits.
45
46 Right, we can't change them, but we can't influence them by what we
47 declare as official channels.
48
49 Have you considered, that people may be excluded from the Gentoo
50 community that are used to NNTP. Probable people with good skills in
51 that special group?
52
53 In the ideal world all those different channels would mirror the same
54 database. But that would require some technological progress to
55 synchronize without breaking the threads.
56
57 Al