From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 57.0.4 without pulseaudio? Possible?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 13:25:35
1 On 01/14 12:11, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 11:36:23 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 > > With each job taking up to 1.2G of RAM you can quickly exhaust
5 > > available memory on older PCs and swapping can start grinding the box
6 > > to a halt. Since the move to profile 17.0 I found my old laptop comes
7 > > to its knees on compiling larger packages like Chromium. If you also
8 > > find swapping starts thrashing your drive and emerge moves nowhere fast
9 > > as it becomes I/O bound, you should consider reducing the number of
10 > > jobs with MAKEOPTS="-jX" where X is a lesser number than previously
11 > > used and also reducing the --load-average to a low(er) number.
12 >
13 > I have 8GB in this laptop (not expandable) and Chromium is currently
14 > swapping away with -j4. With -j2 it didn't so I'll try -j3 next time.
15 >
16 > You can set it on a per package basis:
17 >
18 > % cat /etc/portage/package.env/chromium
19 > www-client/chromium disk-tmpdir.conf j3.conf
20 >
21 > % cat /etc/portage/env/j3.conf
22 > MAKEOPTS="-j3"
23 >
24 > % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
25 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
26 >
27 > The last one is needed because TMPDIR is on a tmpfs normally.
30 > --
31 > Neil Bothwick
32 >
33 > If at first you don't suceed, try the switch marked "Power"
36 Hi,
37
38 thanks a lot for all the input.
39
40 I disabled pulseaudio via USE flag and recompiled the whole stuff.
41 And VOILA! : Sound without apulse and pulseaudio! NICE!
42
43 Cheers!
44 Meino