From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 57.0.4 without pulseaudio? Possible?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 12:11:26
1 On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 11:36:23 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > With each job taking up to 1.2G of RAM you can quickly exhaust
4 > available memory on older PCs and swapping can start grinding the box
5 > to a halt. Since the move to profile 17.0 I found my old laptop comes
6 > to its knees on compiling larger packages like Chromium. If you also
7 > find swapping starts thrashing your drive and emerge moves nowhere fast
8 > as it becomes I/O bound, you should consider reducing the number of
9 > jobs with MAKEOPTS="-jX" where X is a lesser number than previously
10 > used and also reducing the --load-average to a low(er) number.
11
12 I have 8GB in this laptop (not expandable) and Chromium is currently
13 swapping away with -j4. With -j2 it didn't so I'll try -j3 next time.
14
15 You can set it on a per package basis:
16
17 % cat /etc/portage/package.env/chromium
18 www-client/chromium disk-tmpdir.conf j3.conf
19
20 % cat /etc/portage/env/j3.conf
21 MAKEOPTS="-j3"
22
23 % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
24 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
25
26 The last one is needed because TMPDIR is on a tmpfs normally.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 If at first you don't suceed, try the switch marked "Power"