From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 18:11:05
1 On 7/31/20 12:01 PM, james wrote:
2 > yep, at least (2) static IPs.
3
4 You can actually get away with one static IP. It's ill advised. But it
5 will function.
6
7 You can also have external 3rd party secondary DNS servers that pull
8 from your (private) primary DNS server. You might even be able to get
9 this communications over a VPN if the secondary DNS server operator is
10 cooperative.
11
12 > Once running I'll find a similar bandwidth usage organization and swap
13 > DNS secondary services.
14
15 That's a nice idea. But I've not bothered with that in about 18 years.
16
17 I have Linode DNS servers be secondaries for my domains and point the
18 world at them. I'm still in complete control of the domains via my
19 personal primary DNS server.
20
21 Note: I'm not offering reciprocal secondary DNS service.
22
23 This is trivial (for Linode) perk that I get by being a customer for
24 other things. I think a single < $5 / month VPS qualifies me. (I don't
25 remember if there is a lower tier VPS or not.)
26
27 > Now days with all the issue wit CA and others similar/related
28 > issues. that might get complicated.
29
30 Don't let those features blind you, especially if you don't want to use
31 their features. Also be mindful of ascribing credit them if they are
32 simply front ending something like Let's Encrypt, which you can do on
33 your own for free.
34
35 > (2) static IPs for (2) dns primary resolvers should get me going.
36
37 1 static IP somewhere will get you started. ;-)
38
39 > Verizon killing its email services:
40 >
41 > https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blogs/comcast-nation/Verizon-exiting-email-business.html
42
43 I'm not at all surprised.
44
45 > Well, it's probable not appropriate for me to "finger" specifics. But if
46 > you just learn about all the things some carriers are experimenting
47 > with, in the name of 5G, it is a wide variety experimentation, to put it
48 > mildly.
49
50 5G is just the latest in a long line of motivators that have caused
51 providers to do questionable things.
52
53 > Forking the internet into 1.China & pals  2. European Member states. 3.
54 > USA and allies.
55
56 I've not yet seen any indication that these Geo Political issues have
57 influencing the technological standards that are used. Sure, they are
58 influencing who they are used with, and in some cases /not/ used with.
59 But, thus far, the underlying technical standards have been the same.
60
61 > But someone like you (Grant) could help guide and document a gentoo
62 > centric collective that provides for email services, secure/limited
63 > web servers and a pair of embedded/DNS (primary) resolvers so we can
64 > keep email systems alive.
65
66 A couple of things:
67
68 1) Nothing about what I'm suggesting is Gentoo, or even Linux,
69 specific. The same methodologies can be used on other OSs.
70
71 2) I don't think that email is going to die. It certainly won't do it
72 faster than Usenet has (not) done. (Usenet is still alive and quite
73 active.)
74
75 Yes, email is growing and changing. But each and every one of us that
76 thinks about running our own email server has a tiny bit of influence in
77 that through our actions.
78
79 > Thanks  for your insight and suggestions.
80
81 You're welcome. :-)
86 Grant. . . .
87 unix || die