From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 18:01:35
1 On 7/31/20 12:30 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 7/29/20 5:23 PM, james wrote:
3 >> Free static IPs?
4 >
5 > Sure.
6 >
7 > Sign up with Hurricane Electric for an IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel and request
8 > that they route a /56 to you.? It's free.? #hazFun
11 Great to know. I'll see what happens.
12 >> Note:: here in the US, it may be easier and better, to just purchase
13 >> an assignment, that renders them yours.
14 >
15 > Simply paying someone for IPs doesn't "render them yours" per say.
16 agreed.
17 >
18 >> I'd be shocked if you do not have to pay somebody residual fees, just
19 >> like DNS.
20 >
21 > It is highly dependent on what you consider to be "residual fees".
22 >
23 > Does the circuit to connect you / your equipment to the Internet count?
24
25 Usually, the circuit for connectivity and the other costs, are bundled
26 by the ISP/bandwidth-carrier. Sure it get's more complicated with
27 bypass, dark-fiber, IEC, and a myriad of other vendor solutions.
30 > What about the power to run said equipment?
31
32 Comm gear is usually low power, but if they assign you a rack or
33 whatever, then the accounting can tag you with hundreds per month for
34 Air Conditioning, transport, etc etc. So I was not intending to go down
35 that pathway of charges and fees.
38 > Does infrastructure you already have and completely paying for mean that
39 > adding a new service (DNS) to it costs (more) money?
40 >
41 > Yes, there is annual (however it works out) rental on the domain name.
42 > But you can easily host your own DNS if you have infrastructure to do so
43 > on.
44
45 yep, at least (2) static IPs. Once running I'll find a similar bandwidth
46 usage organization and swap DNS secondary services. Now days with all
47 the issue wit CA and others similar/related issues. that might get
48 complicated. (2) static IPs for (2) dns primary resolvers should get me
49 going.
50 >
51 > My VPS provider offers no-additional-charge DNS services.? Does that
52 > mean that it's free?? I am paying them a monthly fee for other things.
53 > How you slice things can be quite tricky.
54
55 Yep yep yep.
56 >
57 >> So sense there seems to be interest from several folks,
58 >> I'm all interested in how to do this, US centric.
59 >
60 > I think the simplest and most expedient is to get a Hurricane Electric
61 > IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel.
62 >
63 I agree, based on what you have shared.
64
65 >> Another quesiton. If you have (2) blocks of IP6 address,
66 >> can you use BGP4 (RFC 1771, 4271, 4632, 5678,5936 6198 etc ) and other
67 >> RFC based standards? to manage routing and such multipath needs?
68 >
69 > Conceptually?? Sure.
70 >
71 > Minutia:? I don't recall at the moment if the same version of the BGP
72 > protocol handles both IPv4 and IPv6.? I think it does.? But I need more
73 > caffeine and to check things to say for certain.? Either way, I almost
74 > always see BGPv4 and BGPv6 neighbor sessions established independently.
75 >
76 > There is a fair bit more that needs to be done to support multi-path in
77 > addition to having a prefix.
78
79 yep yep yep!
82 >> Who enforces what carriers do with networking. Here in the US, I'm
83 >> pretty sure it's just up to the the
84 >> Carrier/ISP/bypass_Carrier/backhaul-transport company)....
85 >
86 > Yep.
87 >
88 > There is what any individual carrier will do and then there's what the
89 > consensus of the Internet will do.? You can often get carriers to do
90 > more things than the Internet in general will do.? Sometimes for a fee.
91 > Sometimes for free.? It is completely dependent on the carrier.
94 Verizon killing its email services:
95
96 https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blogs/comcast-nation/Verizon-exiting-email-business.html
99 >> Conglomerates with IP resources, pretty much do what they want, and
100 >> they are killing the standards based networking. If I'm incorrect,
101 >> please educated me, as I have not kept up in this space, since selling
102 >> my ISP more than (2) decades ago.
105 Well, it's probable not appropriate for me to "finger" specifics. But if
106 you just learn about all the things some carriers are experimenting
107 with, in the name of 5G, it is a wide variety experimentation, to put it
108 mildly.
109
110 > Please elaborate on what you think the industry / conglomerates are
111 > doing that is killing the standards based networking.
112 >
113 >> The trump-china disputes are only accelerating open standards for
114 >> communications systems, including all things TCP/IP.
117 > Please elaborate.
118
119 Forking the internet into 1.China & pals 2. European Member states. 3.
120 USA and allies.
123 "Some" folks would argue the mess with Certificate Authority (CA)
124 provides an enormous venue for Nefarious activities. Some would say "the
125 feds & company" would/are choosing instability, rather than enforceable
126 rules, which include the (US) federal authorities. Their default is
127 "hack the planet", as long as we get backdoors and other forms of access
128 to everything.
129
130 However this list has many very smart readers. I'm not going too deep.
131 I will say that every RF chipset is deeply comprised and it takes
132 millions of dollars in gear to delineate that. Believe what you want.
133
134 But someone like you (Grant) could help guide and document a gentoo
135 centric collective that provides for
136 email services, secure/limited web servers and a pair of embedded/DNS
137 (primary) resolvers so we can keep email systems alive. With that
138 baseline, folks with a need, can add what they want. That's what I'm
139 trying to achieve. Common interest that eventually also leads to a very
140 robust testing semantic. Web, Email, and DNS services is a very large
141 effort, particular with robust and routine security testing.
142
143 There is another movement to put linux, source base, onto your "open"
144 cell phone, but that's another thread for another day. 2 projects
145 (gentoo centric) in estimation, destine to become robust and as
146 critically important, as the Linux kernel itself.
147
148 Personally, I strongly dislike all of those replacement services, from
149 megalopolis like Google, Facebook, Microsoft and others. ymmv.
150
151 Thanks for your insight and suggestions.
152
153 James