From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:30:28
1 On 7/29/20 5:23 PM, james wrote:
2 > Free static IPs?
3
4 Sure.
5
6 Sign up with Hurricane Electric for an IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel and request
7 that they route a /56 to you. It's free. #hazFun
8
9 > Note:: here in the US, it may be easier and better, to just purchase
10 > an assignment, that renders them yours.
11
12 Simply paying someone for IPs doesn't "render them yours" per say.
13
14 > I'd be shocked if you do not have to pay somebody residual fees,
15 > just like DNS.
16
17 It is highly dependent on what you consider to be "residual fees".
18
19 Does the circuit to connect you / your equipment to the Internet count?
20
21 What about the power to run said equipment?
22
23 Does infrastructure you already have and completely paying for mean that
24 adding a new service (DNS) to it costs (more) money?
25
26 Yes, there is annual (however it works out) rental on the domain name.
27 But you can easily host your own DNS if you have infrastructure to do so on.
28
29 My VPS provider offers no-additional-charge DNS services. Does that
30 mean that it's free? I am paying them a monthly fee for other things.
31 How you slice things can be quite tricky.
32
33 > So sense there seems to be interest from several folks,
34 > I'm all interested in how to do this, US centric.
35
36 I think the simplest and most expedient is to get a Hurricane Electric
37 IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel.
38
39 > Another quesiton. If you have (2) blocks of IP6 address,
40 > can you use BGP4 (RFC 1771, 4271, 4632, 5678,5936 6198 etc ) and other
41 > RFC based standards  to manage routing and such multipath needs?
42
43 Conceptually? Sure.
44
45 Minutia: I don't recall at the moment if the same version of the BGP
46 protocol handles both IPv4 and IPv6. I think it does. But I need more
47 caffeine and to check things to say for certain. Either way, I almost
48 always see BGPv4 and BGPv6 neighbor sessions established independently.
49
50 There is a fair bit more that needs to be done to support multi-path in
51 addition to having a prefix.
52
53 > Who enforces what carriers do with networking. Here
54 > in the US, I'm pretty sure it's just up to the the
55 > Carrier/ISP/bypass_Carrier/backhaul-transport company)....
56
57 Yep.
58
59 There is what any individual carrier will do and then there's what the
60 consensus of the Internet will do. You can often get carriers to do
61 more things than the Internet in general will do. Sometimes for a fee.
62 Sometimes for free. It is completely dependent on the carrier.
63
64 > Conglomerates with IP resources, pretty much do what they want, and they
65 > are killing the standards based networking. If I'm incorrect, please
66 > educated me, as I have not kept up in this space, since selling my ISP
67 > more than (2) decades ago.
68
69 Please elaborate on what you think the industry / conglomerates are
70 doing that is killing the standards based networking.
71
72 > The trump-china disputes are only accelerating open standards for
73 > communications systems, including all things TCP/IP.
74
75 Please elaborate.
80 Grant. . . .
81 unix || die