From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 23:24:11
1 On 7/29/20 5:20 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 29/07/20 00:11, james wrote:
3 >> On 7/28/20 12:10 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
4 >>> On 28/07/20 16:01, james wrote:
5 >>>> (2) DNS resolvers, (?) mail-servers for a robust mail system that "I"
6 >>>> admin, and (1) internet facing web server and (1) internal only facing
7 >>>> or limited outward facing Web server for development and security based
8 >>>> testing. Static IP are basically $5/month from my ISP.
9 >>>
10 >>> Do you really want to pay for a static IP? I'd go IPv6 instead.
11 >>>
12 >>> I learnt my v4 in the days of 10-base-2, and I'd really love to update
13 >>> to punching holes in a v6 router. Limited risk, and no worries about
14 >>> static IPs, NATing, all that legacy stuff ... :-)
15 >>>
16 >>> Cheers,
17 >>> Wol
18 >>>
21 >> So, IPv6 can be assigned without payment to an ISP? Besides having
22 >> static IPs without bandwidth connections routed (assigned) to those IP6
23 >> addresses are not useful?
26 >> If I go IPv6, where does the bandwidth come from?
27 >>
28 >>From your ISP?
29 >
30 > The OP's ISP charges EXTRA for a static address, which shouldn't be the
31 > case seeing as they have oodles of the things. Or maybe I'm out-of-date,
32 > seeing as my ISP in the old days provided a static IPv4 free of charge
33 > as a matter of course.
34 >
35 > Cheers,
36 > Wol
37
38 Here is the US, too few regulators even comprehend your arguments or
39 the state of commercial routing and networking. If ordinary folks can
40 get their porn in a web browser, robustly, then it is classified as a
41 'great ISP'.
42
43 What folk, with some measure of expertise, have, can and want to do, is
44 often only comprehensible by third level support as these ISPs, if you
45 get lucky. Free static IPs? Sure I like that idea, but I'd need a
46 current link as in the US I think that was some years ago. I'll file for
47 some, in a heartbeat, if anyone can point me to the registrar. Note::
48 here in the US, it may be easier and better, to just purchase an
49 assignment, that renders them yours. I'd be shocked if you do not have
50 to pay somebody residual fees, just like DNS.
51
52 So sense there seems to be interest from several folks,
53 I'm all interested in how to do this, US centric. I think each country
54 sets policy on IP allocations from their (IP6) pool. A dozen or (2)
55 pools, so I can test IoT gear, would be keen for my interests. For IoT,
56 on aerial vehicles, the restrictions extreme, if you believe what has
57 been published.
58
59 Very, Very interested in this thread.
60
61 Another quesiton. If you have (2) blocks of IP6 address,
62 can you use BGP4 (RFC 1771, 4271, 4632, 5678,5936 6198 etc ) and other
63 RFC based standards to manage routing and such multipath needs? Who
64 enforces what carriers do with networking. Here in the US, I'm pretty
65 sure it's just up to the the
66 Carrier/ISP/bypass_Carrier/backhaul-transport company)....
67
68 Conglomerates with IP resources, pretty much do what they want, and they
69 are killing the standards based networking. If I'm incorrect, please
70 educated me, as I have not kept up in this space, since selling my ISP
71 more than (2) decades ago. The trump-china disputes are only
72 accelerating open standards for communications systems, including all
73 things TCP/IP.
74
75 curiously,
76 James