From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 09:05:55
1 On 30/07/2020 00:23, james wrote:
2 > Very, Very interested in this thread.
3 >
4 > Another quesiton. If you have (2) blocks of IP6 address,
5 > can you use BGP4 (RFC 1771, 4271, 4632, 5678,5936 6198 etc ) and other
6 > RFC based standards  to manage routing and such multipath needs? Who
7 > enforces what carriers do with networking. Here in the US, I'm pretty
8 > sure it's just up to the the
9 > Carrier/ISP/bypass_Carrier/backhaul-transport company)....
10 >
11 > Conglomerates with IP resources, pretty much do what they want, and they
12 > are killing the standards based networking. If I'm incorrect, please
13 > educated me, as I have not kept up in this space, since selling my ISP
14 > more than (2) decades ago. The trump-china disputes are only
15 > accelerating open standards for communications systems, including all
16 > things TCP/IP.
17
18 From what little I understand, IPv6 *enforces* CIDR. So, of the 64
19 network bits, maybe the first 16 bits are allocated to each high level
20 allocator eg RIPE, ARIN etc. An ISP will then be allocated the next 16
21 bits, giving them a 32-bit address space to allocate to their customers
22 - each ISP will have an address space the size of IPv4?!
23
24 Each customer is then given one of these 64-bit address spaces for their
25 local network. So routing tables suddenly become extremely simple -
26 eactly the way IPv4 was intended to be.
27
28 This may then mean that dynDNS is part of (needs to be) the IPv6 spec,
29 because every time a client roams between networks, its IPv6 address HAS
30 to change.
31
32 I need to research more :-)
33