From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 09:21:01
1 On 29/07/20 00:11, james wrote:
2 > On 7/28/20 12:10 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 28/07/20 16:01, james wrote:
4 >>> (2) DNS resolvers, (?) mail-servers for a robust mail system that "I"
5 >>> admin, and (1) internet facing web server and (1) internal only facing
6 >>> or limited outward facing Web server for development and security based
7 >>> testing. Static IP are basically $5/month from my ISP.
8 >>
9 >> Do you really want to pay for a static IP? I'd go IPv6 instead.
10 >>
11 >> I learnt my v4 in the days of 10-base-2, and I'd really love to update
12 >> to punching holes in a v6 router. Limited risk, and no worries about
13 >> static IPs, NATing, all that legacy stuff ... :-)
14 >>
15 >> Cheers,
16 >> Wol
20 > So, IPv6 can be assigned without payment to an ISP? Besides having
21 > static IPs without bandwidth connections routed (assigned) to those IP6
22 > addresses are not useful?
25 > If I go IPv6, where does the bandwidth come from?
26 >
27 From your ISP?
28
29 The OP's ISP charges EXTRA for a static address, which shouldn't be the
30 case seeing as they have oodles of the things. Or maybe I'm out-of-date,
31 seeing as my ISP in the old days provided a static IPv4 free of charge
32 as a matter of course.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Wol