From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bloated by gcc
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:20:41
1 On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On 29/09/2014 16:10, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 >>>
5 >
6 >>>>> I'm having a somewhat disgusting issue on my Gentoo: binaries are
7 >>>>> unaccountably large.
8 >>>>
11 >> You might consider making contact with the toolchain herd at gentoo or
12 >> filing a bug. I, for one, would be interested to know the outcome.
13 >>
14 > Well, I suppose this one is the list every gentooer subscribes to, and
15 > I would like to be sure I'm not making something silly before filing a
16 > bug...
17 >
18 > Meanwhile, I tried compiling with clang. It produces similar sizes in
19 > Gentoo and in LFS (same i3 computer), although about 200B larger than
20 > in Slackware/atom. So, it really seems to be a gcc issue.
21 >
22 > thanks
23 >
24 > Jorge
27 Just the off the top of my head thoughts on how I'd approach this. GCC
28 has the option to not clean up its temp files used during the build,
29 as well as outputting annotated assembly mid-build. The latter might
30 be the most enlightening on what's being treated differently in the
31 output of the various systems. I don't use those tricks often enough
32 to remember what flags are what off the top of my head, since I only
33 really dig that deep when playing with my avr based toys, but just a
34 couple ideas I thought I'd pass along.
37 Poison [BLX]
38 Joshua M. Murphy