From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 17:37:27
1 On 6/6/19 10:50 AM, Jack wrote:
2 > I've been going through this lately also (mainly due to forgetting -1 on
3 > updates) and put together  a script, which I can post later if anyone
4 > wants.  However, the bottom line for me is to do "emerge -pc package"
5 > for each package in world to see what (if anything) else pulled it in.
6 > If it was pulled in by something else, I remove it from the world file,
7 > unless I explicitly want it installed.    The script just does most of
8 > that, producing a file that makes it easier for me to see what -pc would
9 > remove and what is actually installed.
10
11 Interesting concept and methodology. I'll have to pontificate that.
12
13 > Currently my world file is 292 lines, with 1863 packages installed (from
14 > "eix-installed -a".)
15
16 ACK
17
18 > I'm not going to even try regenworld, as I'm in the midst of converting
19 > to the 17.1 profile, and have quite a number of packages that don't yet
20 > seem to cope with that change well.
21
22 Fair.
23
24 I'm not thinking about the 17.0 to 17.1 migration yet.
25
26 I'm wondering what, if anything I need to do to clean up gcc:
27
28 % gcc-config -l
29 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-6.4.0 *
30 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.2.0
31 [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.3.0
32
33 I seem to remember going from older /to/ 6.4 being a bit touchy.
38 Grant. . . .
39 unix || die