From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lots of Fail.
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 21:59:04
1 Hello, Alan.
2
3 On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 13:24:34 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
4 > First, my 3960x nearly melted the last few days, my cooling loop had run
5 > almost dry. (apparent boil off...) root cause appears to be some kind of
6 > chemical issue with my coolant that had resulted in the waterblock being
7 > almost completely clogged preventing it from doing anything but getting
8 > red hot, (north of 105C !!) so PSA = CHECK YOUR WATER LOOPS!!!
9
10 So, you got a water block in your waterblock. I'm sure that's not as
11 funny as it sounds.
12
13 > Anyway, I cleaned and flushed it at least enough to get it running again.
14
15 It's good you noticed it in time to stop your machine melting.
16
17 > Since I rebooted for the first time in a month+, I need to update my
18 > packages.
19
20 Every cloud has a silver lining.
21
22 > One of the fails I'm getting is a bunch of packages looking for
23 > libgit2.so.1.0,   Ofcourse we now have libgit2.so.1.1
24
25 > Who in god's name requires a specific minor version of a package!?!?!?!
26 > Pure madness!!!
27
28 There is madness in Linux! But I think ....so.1.1 can be functonally
29 different from ....so.1.0. It's in the third digit where only bug fixes
30 etc., are allowed. Something like ....so.1.0.1 may not have a different
31 functionality to ....so.1.0.0.
32
33 > My much bigger problem is:
34
35 > atg@tortoise ~ $ chromium
36 > chromium-browser: error while loading shared libraries: libre2.so.8:
37 > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
38 > atg@tortoise ~ $
39
40 > So I tried to 'emptytree chromium' and got hit by the libgit2 problem in
41 > librsvg, also hit it in a number of other packages... =\
42
43 Sometimes Gentoo can be fun.
44
45 > --