From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge xmlto > ERROR: app-text/xmlto-0.0.18 failed.
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:46:14
1 Dale schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >> Programs That Depend On xmlto
6 >>
7 >> app-text/robodoc dev-util/mercurial sci-geosciences/gpsd
8 >> sys-auth/libnss-pgsql doc media-gfx/k3d
9 >>
10 >> Which, if any of these programs do you have installed on your
11 >> system?
16 > I have none of those installed, but that k3d looks familiar. It is
17 > not installed though. May have read about it somewhere. Is that
18 > that 3D desktop thing? I did install that once but unmerged it ages
19 > ago.
23 It is not *currently* installed, you mean. But xmlto remains installed
24 as a dependency of the uninstalled package.
25
26 Does it (xmlto) appear in the output of an emerge deplclean -p (don't
27 forget the -p!!)?
28 <snip>
29 >> Runtime Dependencies xmlto-0.0.18
30 >>
31 >> | app-shells/bash | app-text/docbook-xml-dtd4.2 | >=
32 >> app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets - 1.62.0-r1 | dev-libs/libxslt
33 >> | sys-apps/utillinux
34 >>
35 >> xmlto-0.0.17
36 >>
37 >> | app-shells/bash | app-text/docbook-xml-dtd4.2 | >=
38 >> app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets - 1.62.0-r1 | dev-libs/libxslt
39 >> | sys-apps/utillinux
40 >>
41 >> I would suggest recompiling the two docbook dependencies, most
42 >> notably docbook-xml-dtd, and seeing if that helps in any way.
43 >> <snip>
46 > I did re-emerge the docbook things, several times I might add, no
47 > workey, just more smoke. :(
48 >
49 > What would die if I unmerged it?
50
51 Apparently nothing, since you don't have any applications installed that
52 depend on it to work.
53
54 > I don't want to remove it and then reboot or something and it blow
55 > smoke at me. :/ I don't relish in reinstalling Gentoo. I would,
56 > but I would rather not.
57
58 First of all, a reinstall of Gentoo is very rarely necessary, and
59 certainly not for a minor text application being uninstalled, no matter
60 what depends on it. Even in a dire emergency, when almost eveyrthing
61 seems to be broken, it's rarely *necessary* to reinstall, but it's a
62 *choice* one might make to save work or time. But Gentoo can almost
63 always be fixed /in situ/, without a full reinstall being needed.
64
65 Second of all, you have checked everything you can check; apparently you
66 don't need this application (nothing you do need depends on it), and
67 it's causing you problems with its irrelevant self.
68
69 Uninstall it and see what happens. It *should* be all right, but
70 sometimes being a Gentoo user requires a leap of faith.
71 >
72 > So you will know, this comes up on occasion when I do a emerge -uv
73 > world. I usually do a emerge --resume --skipfirst and it carries on.
74 > It just seems to pop up on occasion and is getting under my skin.
77 This further suggests thaxt nothing depends on the application, so
78 you're likely safe to just emerge -C it.
79
80 HTH,
81 Holly
82 --