From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge xmlto > ERROR: app-text/xmlto-0.0.18 failed.
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:39:48
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 >It is not *currently* installed, you mean. But xmlto remains installed
4 >as a dependency of the uninstalled package.
5 >
6 >Does it (xmlto) appear in the output of an emerge deplclean -p (don't
7 >forget the -p!!)?
11 It is not in that list. I'm pretty sure I had that though. I'm never
12 100% on anything.
15 >Apparently nothing, since you don't have any applications installed that
16 >depend on it to work.
20 It is about to get the boot then.
21
22 >First of all, a reinstall of Gentoo is very rarely necessary, and
23 >certainly not for a minor text application being uninstalled, no matter
24 >what depends on it. Even in a dire emergency, when almost eveyrthing
25 >seems to be broken, it's rarely *necessary* to reinstall, but it's a
26 >*choice* one might make to save work or time. But Gentoo can almost
27 >always be fixed /in situ/, without a full reinstall being needed.
31 Problem is, if it don't boot into a GUI, I can't get to the net and get
32 help. Keep in mind that I don't dual boot windoze or anything. I
33 usually start over if I can't get it to work by myself. It has been a
34 while since I had serious trouble though. I did have a blank inittab
35 file once, that was . . . . interesting. I back-up my /etc on occasion
36 and just sort of copied one over after booting the CD. ;) Worked a lot
37 better then. :)
38
39 >Second of all, you have checked everything you can check; apparently you
40 >don't need this application (nothing you do need depends on it), and
41 >it's causing you problems with its irrelevant self.
45 Humor I like. LOL
46
47 >Uninstall it and see what happens. It *should* be all right, but
48 >sometimes being a Gentoo user requires a leap of faith.
52 Here goes the leap. If I disappear for a day or so, it wasn't good.
53 :( I have portage and distfiles on a seperate partition though. o_O
54 Just in case.
57 >This further suggests thaxt nothing depends on the application, so
58 >you're likely safe to just emerge -C it.
59 >
60 >HTH,
61 >Holly
64 Well, I hope this works. What is HTH?
65
66 Dale
69 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list