From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: sys-fs/lvm2 question
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 08:29:29
1 On 08/23/2014 11:22 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 23/08/2014 09:51, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
3 >> On 08/23/2014 10:31 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >>> xfce4-power-manager-1.3.0 and older uses UDisks 1.x for controlling disk
5 >>> spinning, like to reduce it
6 >>>
7 >>> xfce4-power-manager-1.3.1 and higher removed UDisks 1.x dependency and
8 >>> the spindown feature, supposedly it had issues
9 >>> and doesn't work with SSD anyway... anyways, upstream decision to not
10 >>> use udisks anymore
11 >>>
12 >>> so, i recommend upgrading to 1.3.1, adding it to package.keywords if
13 >>> required
14 >>>
15 >>> thanks,
16 >>> samuli
17 >> Thanks for your response.
18 >>
19 >> I remember being advised on this list against mixing both stable and
20 >> unstable packages as much as possible.
21 >>
22 >> Does that still hold true? Or would it be OK to pull this one in without
23 >> braking anything unnecessarily?
24 >
25 > I think you have a wrong impression. There is actually not much wrong
26 > with mixing stable and unstable as long as you do it sensibly.
27 >
28 > What you shouldn't do is to wantonly mix packages in @stable and other
29 > basic libs and still expect it to work. Stable gcc and unstable glibc
30 > with jpeg, zlib and openssl all mixed and matched any old way is certain
31 > to show inconsistencies (as you will be the only person who has ever
32 > tested that combination).
33 >
34 > What is being proposed here is that you take one userland package
35 > (xfce4-power-manager) and upgrade it to the new version. It's highly
36 > unlikely to break anything and I can tell that just by looking at it's
37 > purpose and where it fits in the stack. It will either work or not, and
38 > the list of things that might link to it are a rather small list indeed.
39 >
40 > So just give it a spin, you can always revert if it's incompatible with
41 > everything else you have.
42 >
43 > The answer to the last question you pose is correctly "mu" as no-one can
44 > possibly answer it properly. The best we can do for you is paint the big
45 > picture and ask you to try then report back if it works, as I have done
46 > above.
50 I'll give that whirl. Thanks.