From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:31:40
1 On 02/26/2010 06:10 PM, BRM wrote:
2 >[...]
3 >> From: Alex Schuster<wonko@×××××××××.org>
4 >>> That's the only issue. My only concern is software (e.g. KDevelop) that
5 >>> may not have been updated to KDE4 yet. (Not a fan of KDevelop3;
6 >>> waiting to see how KDevelop4 is going to shape up.)
7 >> The KDE4 version is in the kde overlay, but I do not know if it is usable
8 >> already.
9 >
10 > For now, I'll wait. I mostly use vim; and having done a lot of Windows stuff for work I am familiar with VS.
11 > While there are a lot of things I don't like about VS, nothing else seems to quite compare.
12 > KDevelop3 at least drove me nuts; and Eclipse just doesn't do well when you're not programming in Java - I have yet to get CDT to work, though I've mostly tried on Windows.
13 > QtCreator seems to be on the right track, though it's still quite early.
14 >
15 > I'm interested to see how KDevelop4 is going to turn out, but I'll certainly wait for it to reach the mainline tree.
16
17 The KDevelop 4 is actually in Portage (dev-util/kdevelop:4), not only in
18 the kde overlay.
19
20 I have both Kdev4 and Qt Creator installed. I ended up going with
21 Creator, but I'm still keeping an eye on Kdev4.