From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:12:28
1 On Sunday 10 January 2010 23:40:57 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 10 Jan 2010, at 18:45, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 10 January 2010 19:11:52 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
4 > >> one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me
5 > >> up in
6 > >> the morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with
7 > >> Winamp. Do
8 > >> you know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically
9 > >> after I put
10 > >> it to sleep in its RAM?
11 > >>
12 > >> In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.
13 > >
14 > > Sounds like a classic case of being WAAAAAAAY too complicated.
15 > >
16 > > Have you considered buying a cheap alarm clock?
17 > > Or setting your phone to play a tune for an alarm?
18 >
19 > This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality must
20 > have a rewake feature, mustn't it?
21
22 I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no user-code is
23 running. The only power consumed is what is needed to refresh RAM. That must
24 be there otherwise the content goes away if you try and resume.
25
26 So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs don't
27 have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so the only option
28 is for some code to be running, polling the time and cause the system to wake
29 up. Which is exactly what suspend does not do.
30
31 Wake-on-LAN can do it, but that's not what the OP wants.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com