From: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:37:34
1 On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:09:48 +0200 Alan McKinnon
2 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sunday 10 January 2010 23:40:57 Stroller wrote:
4 > > This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality
5 > > must have a rewake feature, mustn't it?
6 >
7 > I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no
8 > user-code is running. The only power consumed is what is needed to
9 > refresh RAM. That must be there otherwise the content goes away if
10 > you try and resume.
11 >
12 > So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs
13 > don't have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so
14 > the only option is for some code to be running, polling the time and
15 > cause the system to wake up. Which is exactly what suspend does not
16 > do.
17
18 Windows can do that and BIOS has such settings too. Those are
19 power management settings like "suspend to RAM after X minutes",
20 "hibernate after Y minutes". In order to hibernate it has to wake up
21 first, so there must be some place where a timer is set.
22
23 And I have seen it done on Linux. I just never tried it myself.
26 Cheers,
27 Renat
30 Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
31 durch die sie entstanden sind.
32 (Einstein)