From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:53:59
1 On Monday 11 January 2010 00:36:57 Renat Golubchyk wrote:
2 > On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:09:48 +0200 Alan McKinnon
3 >
4 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Sunday 10 January 2010 23:40:57 Stroller wrote:
6 > > > This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality
7 > > > must have a rewake feature, mustn't it?
8 > >
9 > > I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no
10 > > user-code is running. The only power consumed is what is needed to
11 > > refresh RAM. That must be there otherwise the content goes away if
12 > > you try and resume.
13 > >
14 > > So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs
15 > > don't have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so
16 > > the only option is for some code to be running, polling the time and
17 > > cause the system to wake up. Which is exactly what suspend does not
18 > > do.
19 >
20 > Windows can do that and BIOS has such settings too. Those are
21 > power management settings like "suspend to RAM after X minutes",
22 > "hibernate after Y minutes". In order to hibernate it has to wake up
23 > first, so there must be some place where a timer is set.
24 >
25 > And I have seen it done on Linux. I just never tried it myself.
26
27 Interesting. I haven't looked into that stuff in years, I must be way behind
28 the times then :-)
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com