From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-140
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:41:41
1 On Monday 16 March 2009 21:30:19 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Montag 16 März 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > A quick heads-up if you upgrade to the latest udev in portage.
4 > >
5 > > Don't do what I did and postpone the etc-update step till later, forget
6 > > about it in the rush of trying to get work done, and then need to reboot.
7 > > When the machine boots, sysfs does not mount, the proc init script fails
8 > > and everything thereafter fails.
9 > >
10 > > I suppose it's possible to boot into single user mode and manually edit
11 > > the files in /etc. But in my case it was not at all obvious that this was
12 > > what I had to do.
13 > >
14 > > I had to boot off a rescue USB stick and chroot to see what was
15 > > happening.
16 >
17 > me too - and it wasn't even a voluntary reboot. I stepped on the switch of
18 > the power chord - and first I thought my raid was fucked up :(
19 > Luckily I have an usb stick with systemrescuecd on it around - booted from
20 > it, mounted everything, chroot+cfg-update
21 >
22 > But it sucked. A lot. devfs never was such troublesome.
23
24 I'll say :-) Actually, sometimes I think MKNOD was really cool and just do
25 everything static.
26
27 I wouldn't really have minded the inconvenience, except that while all this
28 was going on, the largest data centre in the Southern Hemisphere was dropping
29 off the air one router at a time, my desktop machine was panicing after 4
30 minutes of use (so that's why I stopped using it 6 months ago!) and I had to
31 use putty on the GF's Thinkpad to do my bit to rescue all this. Putty sucks,
32 really badly. The only thing that sucks worse than Putty on Windows is Putty
33 on Symbian, even on a Nokia Communicator with a semi-decent keyboard (for a
34 phone) :-)
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com