From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-140
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:20:39
1 On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 16 March 2009 21:30:19 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> On Montag 16 März 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> > A quick heads-up if you upgrade to the latest udev in portage.
5 >> >
6 >> > Don't do what I did and postpone the etc-update step till later, forget
7 >> > about it in the rush of trying to get work done, and then need to reboot.
8 >> > When the machine boots, sysfs does not mount, the proc init script fails
9 >> > and everything thereafter fails.
10 >> >
11 >> > I suppose it's possible to boot into single user mode and manually edit
12 >> > the files in /etc. But in my case it was not at all obvious that this was
13 >> > what I had to do.
14 >> >
15 >> > I had to boot off a rescue USB stick and chroot to see what was
16 >> > happening.
17 >>
18 >> me too - and it wasn't even a voluntary reboot. I stepped on the switch of
19 >> the power chord - and first I thought my raid was fucked up :(
20 >> Luckily I have an usb stick with systemrescuecd on it around - booted from
21 >> it, mounted everything, chroot+cfg-update
22 >>
23 >> But it sucked. A lot. devfs never was such troublesome.
24 >
25 > I'll say :-) Actually, sometimes I think MKNOD was really cool and just do
26 > everything static.
27 >
28 > I wouldn't really have minded the inconvenience, except that while all this
29 > was going on, the largest data centre in the Southern Hemisphere was dropping
30 > off the air one router at a time, my desktop machine was panicing after 4
31 > minutes of use (so that's why I stopped using it 6 months ago!) and I had to
32 > use putty on the GF's Thinkpad to do my bit to rescue all this. Putty sucks,
33 > really badly. The only thing that sucks worse than Putty on Windows is Putty
34 > on Symbian, even on a Nokia Communicator with a semi-decent keyboard (for a
35 > phone) :-)
36
37 What sucks about PuTTY on Windows? I use it all the time and it seems
38 to do everything... Granted, I just use it for simple serial port
39 devices and SSH stuff, no exotic terminal emulations.
40
41 PuTTY on Symbian only does SSH but it seems to do it well enough.
42 Running it full-screen with the smallest font is actually not so bad,
43 even on my 240x320 screen. Being able to connect to my computer
44 wherever I have a cellular signal is convenient... typing with T9 on a
45 numeric phone keypad, not so much... but that's the phone's fault, not
46 PuTTY's. :P I've been meaning to set up a simple menu script that
47 allows me to run all of my common tasks with phone-friendly
48 keystrokes. emerge -uDvptN blah blah blah really sucks to tap out on
49 the 0-9 keys :) Thank god for bash command history...