From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 07:23:34
1 On 6/8/21 4:40 am, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 10:18:06AM +0200 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
3 >
4 >>> You could delete and rebuild the cache each time (or I think there is a
5 >>> way to do without it).
6 >> If the cache can be easily rebuilt, then there’d be no need to store it at
7 >> all.
8 > Here’s an afterthought that just hit me:
9 > there should actually be no point in archiving the cache at all. If you had
10 > a disaster and do a full restore from borg, the old cache data becomes
11 > invalid anyways, because the files’ inodes will now be different. AFAIK,
12 > inodes are one way of detecting file changes. Different inode → file must be
13 > different → rehash.
14 >
15 > (Unless `borg extract` updates the borg cache for files it restores, which I
16 > doubt because the destination path is arbitrary.)
17 >
18 Agreed - I do get a warning on restore and my first choice is always
19 delete the cache AND the security directory - I should just go ahead and
20 do it anyway I guess.
21
22 Also, it would be a good time to read the borg create statement
23 (https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/create.html) for the
24 file change detection parameters - moosefs and snapshots required
25 non-default options to get it right.
26
27 BillK