From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 20:40:27
1 Am Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 10:18:06AM +0200 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
2
3 > > You could delete and rebuild the cache each time (or I think there is a
4 > > way to do without it).
5 >
6 > If the cache can be easily rebuilt, then there’d be no need to store it at
7 > all.
8
9 Here’s an afterthought that just hit me:
10 there should actually be no point in archiving the cache at all. If you had
11 a disaster and do a full restore from borg, the old cache data becomes
12 invalid anyways, because the files’ inodes will now be different. AFAIK,
13 inodes are one way of detecting file changes. Different inode → file must be
14 different → rehash.
15
16 (Unless `borg extract` updates the borg cache for files it restores, which I
17 doubt because the destination path is arbitrary.)
20 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
21 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
22
23 Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers
24 believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.