From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 08:18:29
1 Am Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 07:10:03AM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:
2
3 > >> Keep in  mind that both repos have the same ID - you should also rsync
4 > >> the cache and security directories as well as they are now out of sync
5 > >> (hence the warning).
6 > > That thought crossed my mind recently but I was unsure how to store the
7 > > cache. But since the repo is a monolith, it should suffice to rsync
8 > > the whole cache directory to the backup drive (or do it as a tar).
9 > >
10 > > The only problem is the temporal sequence:
11 > > 1. Host A runs borg and gets a current cache.
12 > > 2. Host B runs borg on the same repo and gets a current cache.
13 > > 2a. Host A now has an outdated cache.
14 > >
15 > > Usually, Host B uses Host A via ssh as remote location of the repository.
16 > > So I could simply run a borg command on Host A to update the cache somehow.
17 > >
18 > >> Be very careful on how you do this - you are one step away from losing the
19 > >> while repo if the cache gets out of sync.  The docs warn against rsyncing
20 > >> two repos and then using them at the same time for a good reason.
21 > > I won’t use them at the same time. It will always be one direction:
22 > > Hosts --[borg]--> Main backup drive --[rsync]--> secondary backup drive
23 > >
24 > You could delete and rebuild the cache each time (or I think there is a
25 > way to do without it).
26
27 If the cache can be easily rebuilt, then there’d be no need to store it at
28 all. At least that’s what I hoped, but was shown otherwise; I deleted the
29 whole cache, wanting to clean it up from cruft, and then the next run took
30 hours due to complete re-hash.
31
32 > There are quite a few threads on the borg lists about this in the past
33 > (usually people trying to recover trashed repos)
34
35 I’ll give them a read in a quiet hour.
36
37 > - you might ask there if there is a way to deal with changing the ID now?
38
39 Why would I need to change the ID? As already explained, I will only ever
40 borg to the primary backup disk and mirror that to another disk with rsync.
41 And when the primary fails, I use the secondary as drop-in replacement.
44 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
45 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
46
47 Sometimes the fingers are faster then grammar.