From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is this a bug in firefox-36.0?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 04:49:18
1 On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:49:54 PM walt wrote:
2 > BTW, I tried the latest firefox in a Win7 virtual machine and I was
3 > shocked to see that firefox was updating itself when I was logged in
4 > as an unprivileged user (i.e. *not* an Administrator). Are the idiots
5 > at M$ *really* that stupid? They've learned nothing, apparently, since
6 > Win 95 :(
7
8 At the risk of being flamed, the security model of NT operating systems is
9 actually far superior to that of Linux with all the disaster kits. The problem
10 is that Windows users don't want to be bothered with security settings. When
11 the set the default to ask for password on vista they where flooded with
12 negative feedback. MS being a commercial company would indeed be stupid not to
13 give them what they want.
14
15 As a user you could use an unprivileged account and use runas just like sudo
16 on Linux but that's too much for Windows users so they took it a step further,
17 even if you got admin rights it will ask for permission (optionally password)
18 before doing anything privileged, still users blindly click OK on those
19 dialogs (like you did with firefox).
20
21 If firefox follows MS guidelines it won't let an unpriviliged user (unless an
22 user with admin rights explicitly sets an option allowing it, probably during
23 install) update it even technically it can cause you allowed it to install.
26 Fernando Rodriguez