From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive activity indicator light
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:03:55
1 John,
2 None of my Linux boxes with SATA drives (3 machines) show drive
3 activity via the LED. It seems to be some limitation of the Linux
4 drivers.
5
6 The SATA bus is a different hardware interface from the EIDE
7 interface. My suspicion has been that the LED is hard wired into the
8 EIDE controller and probably has to be driven by extra commands
9 (somehow...) when using the SATA interface. Keep in mind that the EIDE
10 controller is in your chipset and the Silicon Image SATA controller is
11 a completely separate chip so what it's doing may or may not be
12 visible to the hardware that drives the LED.
13
14 Anyway, a bit long winded but you are not alone. ;-)
15
16 Cheers,
17 Mark
18