From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hard drive activity indicator light
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:54:41
1 Good morning,
2
3 Something that's been bothering me, although not that much, for about 3
4 years now. I've never investigated, and perhaps the answer is simple,
5 but every distro I've used (RH9, FC1, FC2, Suse 9.1, and now Gentoo),
6 has not shown the tiny blinking drive activity indicator on the front of
7 my tower. This machine has always, until a few weeks ago when I finally
8 dumped it for good, dual-booted with XP. And XP always showed activity
9 via the light when there was activity. I would have thought that this
10 was actually a hardware signal, and not OS related. But it doesn't
11 appear that way. This is with a WD 36GB SATA drive on a ASUS A7N8X
12 deluxe mobo w/ onboard Silicon Image controller.
13
14 Any, and all, help is greatly appreciated.
15
16 Thanks,
17 John
20 Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.