From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to use logcheck
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 15:36:18
1 On 08/05/2017 14:54, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > The logging section of the security handbook[1] recommends using app-
5 > admin/logcheck to monitor logs, but I can't get past a permission problem.
6 > Logcheck sends me an e-mail which complains:
7 >
8 > ================
9 > Could not run logtail or save output
10 >
11 > Check temporary directory: /tmp/logcheck.thLHYh
12 >
13 > Also verify that the logcheck user can read all files referenced in
14 > /etc/logcheck/logcheck.logfiles!
15 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
16
17 you didn't do this, or didn't show that you did
18
19 > ================
20 >
21 > There's no sign of any /tmp/log* file. /var/log/messages is the only entry in
22 > /etc/logcheck/logcheck.logfiles .
23 >
24 > I tried changing /var/log/messages thus:
25 >
26 > # chmod g+r /var/log/messages
27 bad idea
28 > # chown :logcheck /var/log/messages
29 worse bad idea
30 >
31 > ...and ran logcheck, only to find that /var/log/messages was back to its
32 > original permissions:
33 >
34 > ls -l /var/log/messages
35 > -rw------- 1 root root 139K May 8 13:27 /var/log/messages
36 >
37 > ...and I got the same e-mail as before.
38 >
39 > Has anyone succeeded in running logcheck? What's the magic recipe? I see
40 > that app-admin/logcheck is maintainer-wanted, so there's no point in raising
41 > a bug report.
42 >
43 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Security_Handbook/Logging
48 Alan McKinnon