From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to use logcheck
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 12:54:48
1 Hello list,
2
3 The logging section of the security handbook[1] recommends using app-
4 admin/logcheck to monitor logs, but I can't get past a permission problem.
5 Logcheck sends me an e-mail which complains:
6
7 ================
8 Could not run logtail or save output
9
10 Check temporary directory: /tmp/logcheck.thLHYh
11
12 Also verify that the logcheck user can read all files referenced in
13 /etc/logcheck/logcheck.logfiles!
14 ================
15
16 There's no sign of any /tmp/log* file. /var/log/messages is the only entry in
17 /etc/logcheck/logcheck.logfiles .
18
19 I tried changing /var/log/messages thus:
20
21 # chmod g+r /var/log/messages
22 # chown :logcheck /var/log/messages
23
24 ...and ran logcheck, only to find that /var/log/messages was back to its
25 original permissions:
26
27 ls -l /var/log/messages
28 -rw------- 1 root root 139K May 8 13:27 /var/log/messages
29
30 ...and I got the same e-mail as before.
31
32 Has anyone succeeded in running logcheck? What's the magic recipe? I see
33 that app-admin/logcheck is maintainer-wanted, so there's no point in raising
34 a bug report.
35
36 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Security_Handbook/Logging
39 Regards