From: laurent <laurent@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mail server
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:09:08
1 Mike Kazantsev a écrit :
2 > On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:11:04 +0100
3 > laurent <laurent@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >> Now I see more what ssmtp and msmtp are about so I have some questions.
7 >> Is it possible to use an existing smtp port with them and be able to
8 >> change the sender e-mail from my apache application ?
9 >>
10 >> Like it's transparently sending e-mail from my existing smtp account
11 >> with my authentification but with someone else e-mail.
14 > Yes, basically you can just invoke 'sendmail box@××××××.etc' and type
15 > message with all the headers you need - 'to:', 'from:', 'subject:' etc
16 > to stdin.
17 > Of course, every language has some wrappers to simplify that process.
18 >
19 I installed and configured postfix. It sends mail localy and on external
20 mailbox. !! I'm glad !!
21
22 dig -x myip
23
24 answer back my domain name. I don't know if I am being behinde a
25 firewall. It's a dedicated server on a domain own by my host service.
26 I don't get e-mail when replyed from external mailbox.
27
28 security-wise: Is there any stuff to do, not by default, to secure my
29 smtp server to not be used from outside ?
32 >> For MTA: it involves installing a DNS server ?
35 > Not really.
36 > Your IP belongs to an ISP, and it's DNS server has the authority for
37 > that address. So, if anyone (e.g. mail server) is asking any (other) DNS
38 > server "who's that guy?", that DNS will go to your provider's DNS and
39 > ask "so, it's one of yours, who is it?" and it'll be in position to
40 > either return some valid name (that's rarely free), delegate the task
41 > to some other DNS (mostly the case with IP ranges, bought by some
42 > organizations) or just shrug, which is often the case with common users.
43 >
44 > So the answer is likely - "it won't matter, you won't get a name", but
45 > that's entirely up to your ISP.
46 >
47 > That said, there are always possibilities to use the services of (or set
48 > up) some relay server or buy dedicated IP and tunnel traffic through
49 > it, but that's quite beyond the scope of question, I believe.
50 >
51 Tunneling traffic, I'll keep that for other spare time in the year :)
52
53 L