From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mail server
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:17:02
1 On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:11:04 +0100
2 laurent <laurent@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Now I see more what ssmtp and msmtp are about so I have some questions.
5 > Is it possible to use an existing smtp port with them and be able to
6 > change the sender e-mail from my apache application ?
7 >
8 > Like it's transparently sending e-mail from my existing smtp account
9 > with my authentification but with someone else e-mail.
10
11 Yes, basically you can just invoke 'sendmail box@××××××.etc' and type
12 message with all the headers you need - 'to:', 'from:', 'subject:' etc
13 to stdin.
14 Of course, every language has some wrappers to simplify that process.
17 > For MTA: it involves installing a DNS server ?
18
19 Not really.
20 Your IP belongs to an ISP, and it's DNS server has the authority for
21 that address. So, if anyone (e.g. mail server) is asking any (other) DNS
22 server "who's that guy?", that DNS will go to your provider's DNS and
23 ask "so, it's one of yours, who is it?" and it'll be in position to
24 either return some valid name (that's rarely free), delegate the task
25 to some other DNS (mostly the case with IP ranges, bought by some
26 organizations) or just shrug, which is often the case with common users.
27
28 So the answer is likely - "it won't matter, you won't get a name", but
29 that's entirely up to your ISP.
30
31 That said, there are always possibilities to use the services of (or set
32 up) some relay server or buy dedicated IP and tunnel traffic through
33 it, but that's quite beyond the scope of question, I believe.
36 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net