From: Dan <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: which mirror does emerge --sync chose? and why?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 07:01:37
1 On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:50:14 +0100
2 Sven Köhler <skoehler@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > > I do not understand/know how the choice of mirrors work either. I
5 > > noticed that when I rsync from home I always hit the same mirror
6 > > (first time). When I rsync from work (using the same laptop) I
7 > > always hit a different specific mirror (again first time).
8 >
9 > it's not portage!
10 > it's rsync!!!
11 >
12 > execute "rsync rsync.gentoo.org::" for a few times. I always see the
13 > banner message of owl.gentoo.org, and no other.
14 >
15 > That is STRANGE!
20 i think it's not strange at all. i'm sure rsync uses mechanisms to find
21 the closest server, and it's no surprise that this would be the same all
22 the time, and different from the point of view of different networks.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list