From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: which mirror does emerge --sync chose? and why?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 23:21:33
1 >>> I do not understand/know how the choice of mirrors work either. I
2 >>> noticed that when I rsync from home I always hit the same mirror
3 >>> (first time). When I rsync from work (using the same laptop) I
4 >>> always hit a different specific mirror (again first time).
5 >> it's not portage!
6 >> it's rsync!!!
7 >>
8 >> execute "rsync rsync.gentoo.org::" for a few times. I always see the
9 >> banner message of owl.gentoo.org, and no other.
10 >>
11 >> That is STRANGE!
12 >
13 > i think it's not strange at all. i'm sure rsync uses mechanisms to find
14 > the closest server, and it's no surprise that this would be the same all
15 > the time, and different from the point of view of different networks.
16
17 Then, rsync behaves kind of stupid, because if rsync always uses the
18 same server, and the server doesn't work, then the sync will not work.
19
20 But rsync could chose a different server, well, the second-best server,
21 if the best server has failed. But it didn't do that :-(
22
23 Well, but any discussion about that would be off-topic.