From: David Morgan <david.morgan@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want same ol' gentoo on new box
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:42:59
1 On 19:04 Wed 06 Jul , Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:31:03 -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
3 >
4 > > But I'd still be worried that adding a package that does not have
5 > > dependencies satisfied to the world file would not be a good thing
6 > > (unless of course you are using the emptytree option).
7 >
8 > I don't see why it should cause a problem. Portage is quite capable of
9 > calculating the dependencies and installing them. The situation is no
10 > different from uninstalling a dependency of an installed package. The
11 > next emerge --deep world will reinstall it.
14 Well, I only did it to see what would happen.
15
16 I also tried moving /var/db/pkg to somewhere else and did emerge -uavD
17 world, which had the same affect as doing emerge -ae world normally.
18
19 So, my original advice was wrong it seems (well, more out of date than
20 wrong, since I tried to do what the OP wanted to do a while ago, and
21 portage complained about things not being installed). That said, it
22 would still be one way of doing it, just not the simplest way.
23
24 Dave
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list