From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 05:23:42
1 On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Joshua Murphy wrote:
3 <snip>
4 >
5 > Well, I don't see why not.  As you say, lack of a proper clean up after
6 > a bad shutdown can cause problems.  Anything in /run would disappear
7 > after a shutdown, clean or not, since it is in tmpfs.   It doesn't seem
8 > to use much ram either.  I really don't know of a reason why it couldn't
9 > be set that way.  I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed tho.  lol
10 >
11 > As for one of us setting it to do that manually, I guess one could do
12 > that.  If I recall correctly, /var/lock is *supposed* to be cleaned up
13 > when booting but that was a good long while ago.  This may be something
14 > the devs are already getting ready for.  I get the feeling that they are
15 > taking what I call baby steps.  I noticed a upgrade to baselayout and I
16 > think OpenRC as well not long ago.  I'm not sure what decided to put
17 > stuff in /run.  I would think it would be one of those but it could be
18 > some other package.  I guess udev could be one that could have made it
19 > as well.  It does have a directory in there that has stuff in it.  The
20 > rest are empty.
21 >
22 > I'd wait for a serious guru to reply before changing anything tho, just
23 > to be safe.  ;-)
24 >
25 > You think being up late at night is bad.  You should see me when my meds
26 > are making me goofy.  lol
27 >
28 > Dale
29 >
30 > :-)  :-)
33 I would try it right now, but
34
35 a) the only proper 'desktop' I have running is a windows box, the rest
36 of my systems, netbook, laptops, and servers, are stripped down to the
37 bare essentials and are likely to continue skipping along smoothly for
38 a long while regardless of what I do to them, hardly a useful test for
39 something that could potentially cause catastrophic breakage for more
40 'normal' systems, and
41
42 b) if it *did* break, I would dread it as I went about trying to
43 remember my exact steps to get there after I wake up tomorrow,
44 especially with the fact that I'm aiming to head to the office when I
45 wake, rather than toy around with fixing things here at home.
46
47 Maybe tomorrow evening on a couple systems, if the idea itself doesn't
48 bring about any "don't do this, you'll break <x>" responses between
49 now and then (and, depending on the severity of the potential
50 breakage, may still have to poke it with a stick).
53 Poison [BLX]
54 Joshua M. Murphy