From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Messages on boot
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:56:25
1 On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:16:10 -0400, C.Beamer wrote:
2
3 > >The message means for you to set the hostname in /etc/conf.d/hostname
4 > >(or /etc/hostname if you are using a rather old baselayout).
5
6 > I don't have a /etc/hostname file, I just have a hosts file. Did I do
7 > something wrong? My computer is a stand alone, but I connect to the
8 > internet via cable modem.
9
10 That's why you are getting the message. You must have skipped the part in
11 the handbook where you set /etc/conf.d/hostname (I think all baselayouts
12 now use this instead of the old /etc/hostname). Put your computers name
13 in /etc/conf.d/hostname and the message will disappear.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Facts are stubborn little bastards, be careful with them.