From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:01:34
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 6 September 2011, at 10:12, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >>> Just to make things clear, I utterly detest cups, with its arrogance,
6 >>> its wierd, non-standard, and its non-text-based configuration.  Surely
7 >>> I'm not going to be faced by the choice of abandoning libreoffice or
8 >>> using cups?
9 >>
10 >> ...
11 >> I never liked CUPS, but then, at least there is some interface
12 >> to configure its options. I don't do much printing anyway, so I can live
13 >> with that. Well, seems I have to.
14 >
15 > There's something about the *idea* of CUPS that I think I disliked at one time.
16 >
17 > Isn't CUPS really bug and bloaty and horrible?
18
19 I don't remember it was ever like that. It has always be a small
20 daemon with XML configuration files.
21
22 > It has it's own web-interface, which one doesn't seem able to disable - why can't I just configure text files?
23
24 You can use the web interface (I have never needed it), but the
25 configuration files are XML files, if I remember correctly.
26
27 > When I actually installed CUPS, it worked perfectly almost straight out of the box. Probably less effort and more reliable than printing on any other o/s I've used.
28
29 That's also my experience.
30
31 Regards.