From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a hardened profile?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 01:08:34
1 On Monday, September 07, 2015 7:02:45 PM wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Sunday, September 06, 2015 1:15:17 PM walt wrote:
5 > > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened_Gentoo
6 > > >
7 > > > That wiki page is very seductive. It makes me want to drop
8 > > > everything and select a hardened profile and re-emerge everything
9 > > > from scratch.
10 > > >
11 > > > But I have a feeling I'd soon be in big trouble if I did. Is this
12 > > > something that only gentoo devs should be messing with, or is this
13 > > > a project that a typical gentoo end-user might hope to accomplish
14 > > > without frequent suicidal thoughts?
15 > >
16 > > There's different opinions on it, but mine is that while it adds some
17 > > security it's so little that it's not worth it in most cases. It
18 > > provides more security on a binary distro because everyone has the
19 > > same binaries and an attacker don't need to guess where a specific
20 > > piece of code may get loaded but by running a source distro your
21 > > address space is already pretty unique. The only case where it
22 > > provides some security is when an attacker is trying to guess an
23 > > address for an exploit, making the wrong guess will likely crash the
24 > > process and it will be reloaded on a new address. Do you have
25 > > valuable enough data for an attacker to go through that hassle in
26 > > order to get it? If you do then you should use a hardened profile,
27 > > but physical security and disk encryption is more important because
28 > > if it's worth that much it'll be easier to just rob you.
29 >
30 > I'm not a security expert, so I'm maybe wrong here, But I think there
31 > are more security functions on gentoo-hardened than just address space
32 > randomization. There are also things like stack smash protection and
33 > some other restrictions that make it harder to exploit security holes.
34
35 AFAIU about everything else you get is better defaults, nothing you can't do
36 yourself through CFLAGS, etc. SSP for example is enabled by default on recent
37 GCC versions as mentioned by Michael. It will make some exploits harder but
38 IMO not enough to be worth it for the average user.
41 Fernando Rodriguez