From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a hardened profile?
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 17:11:15
1 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday, September 06, 2015 1:15:17 PM walt wrote:
4 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened_Gentoo
5 > >
6 > > That wiki page is very seductive. It makes me want to drop
7 > > everything and select a hardened profile and re-emerge everything
8 > > from scratch.
9 > >
10 > > But I have a feeling I'd soon be in big trouble if I did. Is this
11 > > something that only gentoo devs should be messing with, or is this
12 > > a project that a typical gentoo end-user might hope to accomplish
13 > > without frequent suicidal thoughts?
14 >
15 > There's different opinions on it, but mine is that while it adds some
16 > security it's so little that it's not worth it in most cases. It
17 > provides more security on a binary distro because everyone has the
18 > same binaries and an attacker don't need to guess where a specific
19 > piece of code may get loaded but by running a source distro your
20 > address space is already pretty unique. The only case where it
21 > provides some security is when an attacker is trying to guess an
22 > address for an exploit, making the wrong guess will likely crash the
23 > process and it will be reloaded on a new address. Do you have
24 > valuable enough data for an attacker to go through that hassle in
25 > order to get it? If you do then you should use a hardened profile,
26 > but physical security and disk encryption is more important because
27 > if it's worth that much it'll be easier to just rob you.
28
29 I'm not a security expert, so I'm maybe wrong here, But I think there
30 are more security functions on gentoo-hardened than just address space
31 randomization. There are also things like stack smash protection and
32 some other restrictions that make it harder to exploit security holes.
33
34 > Be aware that there's no hardened desktop profile so that alone will
35 > make it somewhat harder if plan to use it on a desktop.
36
37 I never used a desktop profile. I just added the USE flags that I need.
38
39 > Another reason is if you want to use something like SELinux (which
40 > doesn't require a hardened profile) that gives you very fine grained
41 > control about access control but it's also very restrictive. I think
42 > it's only worth it for large networks with many users and different
43 > levels of access to sensitive data.
44
45 Yes, SELinux can be very painfull and I also don't use it.
46
47 > I needed some of SELinux features but settled for using AppArmor in
48 > an unusual way to accomplish them because SELinux is too much
49 > trouble. All AppArmor really does is provide process isolation or
50 > sandboxing. If an attacker gains access through an exploint he will
51 > only be able to access the files that the exploited service has
52 > access to. I use it with a catch all profile that prevents execution
53 > from all world writeable and home directories, and access to ssh/pgp
54 > keys, keyrings, etc. This works nice for servers and desktops and is
55 > not too restrictive. And if I need to execute code from my home dir
56 > for development I can launch an unrestricted shell via sudo. I can
57 > leave my laptop unlocked with the wallet open (I use the kwallet pam
58 > module) and it will be really hard for you to get anything like ssh
59 > keys or passwords (I also have patches for kwallet so it requires a
60 > password to show saved passwords), but the programs that need them
61 > have access to them.
62
63 I will give AppArmor a try when I have more spare time.
66 Regards
67 wabe