From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a hardened profile?
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 21:54:09
1 On Sunday, September 06, 2015 1:15:17 PM walt wrote:
2 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened_Gentoo
3 >
4 > That wiki page is very seductive. It makes me want to drop everything
5 > and select a hardened profile and re-emerge everything from scratch.
6 >
7 > But I have a feeling I'd soon be in big trouble if I did. Is this
8 > something that only gentoo devs should be messing with, or is this
9 > a project that a typical gentoo end-user might hope to accomplish
10 > without frequent suicidal thoughts?
11
12 There's different opinions on it, but mine is that while it adds some security
13 it's so little that it's not worth it in most cases. It provides more security
14 on a binary distro because everyone has the same binaries and an attacker
15 don't need to guess where a specific piece of code may get loaded but by
16 running a source distro your address space is already pretty unique. The only
17 case where it provides some security is when an attacker is trying to guess an
18 address for an exploit, making the wrong guess will likely crash the process
19 and it will be reloaded on a new address. Do you have valuable enough data for
20 an attacker to go through that hassle in order to get it? If you do then you
21 should use a hardened profile, but physical security and disk encryption is
22 more important because if it's worth that much it'll be easier to just rob
23 you.
24
25 Be aware that there's no hardened desktop profile so that alone will make it
26 somewhat harder if plan to use it on a desktop.
27
28 Another reason is if you want to use something like SELinux (which doesn't
29 require a hardened profile) that gives you very fine grained control about
30 access control but it's also very restrictive. I think it's only worth it for
31 large networks with many users and different levels of access to sensitive
32 data.
33
34 I needed some of SELinux features but settled for using AppArmor in an unusual
35 way to accomplish them because SELinux is too much trouble. All AppArmor
36 really does is provide process isolation or sandboxing. If an attacker gains
37 access through an exploint he will only be able to access the files that the
38 exploited service has access to. I use it with a catch all profile that
39 prevents execution from all world writeable and home directories, and access
40 to ssh/pgp keys, keyrings, etc. This works nice for servers and desktops and
41 is not too restrictive. And if I need to execute code from my home dir for
42 development I can launch an unrestricted shell via sudo. I can leave my laptop
43 unlocked with the wallet open (I use the kwallet pam module) and it will be
44 really hard for you to get anything like ssh keys or passwords (I also have
45 patches for kwallet so it requires a password to show saved passwords), but
46 the programs that need them have access to them.
50 Fernando Rodriguez