From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:58:59
1 On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Am 17.12.2016 um 14:17 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
3 >
4 >>> So tell me how I
5 >>> get a full refund for systemd and how to switch to something usable.
6 >>
7 >> I've answered the latter, your refund is attached :)
8 >
9 > No, you didn't.
10
11 Well, how much did you pay for systemd, and who did you pay it to?
12
13 And as far as how to switch to something usable goes, the last time I
14 checked sysvinit was still open source.
17 > The solution can't be to just install a totally outdated version of a
18 > distro from times before they started forcing systemd onto their users.
19 > This has to be possible with recent versions, too.
20 >
21 > So tell me, how to get rid of systemd on Arch Linux, Debian, Raspbian,
22 > XBian, Ubuntu, Fedora etc. in their most recent releases.
25 Are you willing to:
26 1. Do the work yourself?
27 or
28 2. Pay somebody else to do the work for you?
29
30 This really comes across as whining because a bunch of volunteers
31 decided to volunteer their time building things the way they would
32 prefer to build it, instead of the way you preferred that they build
33 it.
34
35 If you don't like the options out there, then make your own.
36
37 If you don't think the guides on how to install Gentoo on a Pi are
38 good enough, then play around with it until you figure it out, and
39 then post an article on the Wiki.
40
41 Look around Gentoo, or Arch, or Debian. Everything you see is the
42 result of somebody sacrificing their time to create something and make
43 it free for everybody. If something seems to be missing, it is
44 because somebody didn't sacrifice their time to create it. If you
45 care strongly about something, then at some point you need to get your
46 hands dirty and create the future you want to see.
47
48 Complaining on a mailing list isn't going to motivate somebody to help you.
51 Rich