From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:49:33
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 > I'd like to install the latest miro from their nightlies and that
4 > means installing manually without an ebuild. I've always avoided this
5 > because I don't want files spread across my system without an easy way
6 > to remove them. I've also always wanted to set up a good cruft
7 > removal script for keeping my system clean (I'll admit that takes me
8 > in the hobbyist direction) and I'm thinking the two might work well
9 > together. I could temporarily install apps without an ebuild and use
10 > a cruft removal script to remove them.
11 >
12 > What do you guys think of this? Do you know of a good cruft removal
13 > script?
14
15 If you can install your apps into a specific location, I'd use xstow.
16
17 emerge xstow
18 cd ~/install/myapp-1.2.3
19 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3 &&
20 make &&
21 make install
22 cd /usr/local/stow
23 xstow myapp-1.2.3
24
25 myapp-1.2.3 is installed into /usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3, but xstow
26 created symlinks into the /usr/local hierarchy, so it looks as if it were
27 directly installed there. No need to add /usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3/bin
28 to the PATH and such.
29 Use xstow -D myapp-1.2.3 to remove the symlinks if you want to uninstall,
30 then remove /usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3.
31
32 Wonko