From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:33:13
1 >> I'd like to install the latest miro from their nightlies and that
2 >> means installing manually without an ebuild. I've always avoided this
3 >> because I don't want files spread across my system without an easy way
4 >> to remove them. I've also always wanted to set up a good cruft
5 >> removal script for keeping my system clean (I'll admit that takes me
6 >> in the hobbyist direction) and I'm thinking the two might work well
7 >> together. I could temporarily install apps without an ebuild and use
8 >> a cruft removal script to remove them.
9 >>
10 >> What do you guys think of this? Do you know of a good cruft removal
11 >> script?
12 >
13 > If you can install your apps into a specific location, I'd use xstow.
14 >
15 > emerge xstow
16 > cd ~/install/myapp-1.2.3
17 > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3 &&
18 > make &&
19 > make install
20 > cd /usr/local/stow
21 > xstow myapp-1.2.3
22 >
23 > myapp-1.2.3 is installed into /usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3, but xstow
24 > created symlinks into the /usr/local hierarchy, so it looks as if it were
25 > directly installed there. No need to add /usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3/bin
26 > to the PATH and such.
27 > Use xstow -D myapp-1.2.3 to remove the symlinks if you want to uninstall,
28 > then remove /usr/local/stow/myapp-1.2.3.
29
30 That would still leave anything installed outside of /usr/local (/etc
31 for example) right?
32
33 - Grant